Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records
Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
FREE Web Site Hosting at
Mail and Music
Victoria County, Ontario Canada
Two other buildings worthy of mention are the
present Post Office and the Academy of Music.
From 1861 to 1888, the post office was a modest frame building which
still stands on Lindsay Street South next to the skating rink. A new
building of brick was promised by the government in 1887 and the
choice of a site wavered between the old English church lot (the
present location) and Britton's corner. The former site was
criticized as being too far west and out of the center of the town
and a referendum, brought on by frantic disputants, gave a popular
majority of 239 in favor of Britton's corner. It seems, however,
that the referendum was out of order and that the federal Post
Office Department had already purchased the other site. The
criticisms of 1887, moreover, are no longer valid, for Lindsay, like
most towns and cities in the northern hemisphere, has grown steadily
towards the west and north, so that the Post Office is now quite
central. The advent of street delivery in 1919 has further shelved
Work on the Post Office was begun in July 1888. Limestone for the
foundations was towed to Lindsay on scows from the Big Island
quarries on Pigeon Lake. The main building, constructed of red
brick, was 56 feet long by 51 feet wide by 60 feet in height. The
structure was finished off with a tower and a mansard roof. There
was also an eastern wing, 57 feet by 22 feet. A recent
reconstruction has not altered the main outlines of the building.
The Academy of Music, built in 1893, was more urgent than the Post
Office. In the sixties, Thomas E. Bradburn had built a two story
west wing on the town hall, and had leased it to the town council.
The upper floor was used as an Opera House. Though painfully
inadequate, it was all that the town knew for a quarter of a
The Bradburn lease was to expire in 1893, and in 1892 a joint stock
company, initiated by R. J. Matchett and F. Knowlson, prepared to
put up a modern Opera House on the southeast corner of Lindsay
Street and Kent Street East. Work was begun in July 1892 under the
contractorship of William White, of Lindsay. The plans of the
architect, W. Blackwell, of Peterboro, called for a four storey
building of red brick, 120 feet long by 55 feet wide. The stage was
54 feet in width by 38 feet in depth; and the proscenium arch was 28
feet in height. The auditorium was vaulted over with a magnificent
domed ceiling. The seating capacity consisted of 500 in the gallery,
384 in the stalls and parquet, and 16 in the boxes, or a full house
of 900 in all.
An opening concert was given on the night of January 5, 1893.
A Few Municipal
The present population, according to the civic tax
rolls, is 8025, and the assessment of taxable property
The levy for 1921 is 44.3 mills on the dollar and provides for the
following expenditures:(1) $36,887.41 as payment to the county.
One-half of this amount was to be applied on the county road system.
(2). $52,255.77 for Public and Separate Schools. (3). $17,226.43 for
the Collegiate Institute. (4). $44,490.19 for Debenture Debt and
Interest. This includes the missing railway bonuses consolidated in
1891, industrial bonuses, and local improvement financing. (5).
$2800.00 for the Public Library. (6). $47,295.00 for the
miscellaneous expenses of municipal government.
The Record of the
The present Lindsay newspapers, "The Watchman
Warder" (weekly) and "The Evening Post" (daily), are not only the
oldest survivors of a long line of journalistic enterprises in the
county; they were actually among the earliest in point of
In 1856, a joint stock company, consisting of Messrs. Cottingham,
Irons, Stephenson, McQuade, and others, set up a weekly "Metcalfe
Warder" (Conservative) under the management of Joseph Cooper and
Joseph Twell. Cooper had served his apprenticeship on the Dublin
Warder, and to that fact the new paper owed its name. It became the
Omemee Warder in 1857, when the village changed its title.
The "Canadian Post," a Liberal weekly, was begun in Beaverton in
1857 by C. Blackett Robinson and moved to Lindsay in 1861.
According to a Canada Directory issued in 1857, the field here had
already been occupied by the "Lindsay Advocate" (Independent) under
Edward D. Hand. The Lindsay "Herald" (Conservative) joined these two
in 1863. Then, in 1866, the Omemee Warder, finding its position
financially unstable, was spirited away by night and set down in
Lindsay as the "Victoria Warder." Finally, Peter Murray and W. M.
Hale began the "Lindsay Expositor" in 1869.
Only two of these papers survived. The Herald and the Expositor died
in infancy, and the Advocate sold out its equipment to the Post and
the Warder in 1870.
In that same year, Robinson moved to Toronto and founded the "Canada
Presbyterian." The Post was left in the charge of his
brother-in-law, George T. Gurnett, until 1873, when it was taken
over by Charles D. Barr, night editor of the Toronto "Globe."
Four years later, Cooper sold the "Warder" to John Dobson for $5000,
and Edward Flood was made editor. Samuel Hughes of Toronto became
proprietor and editor in 1885. Leading local Conservatives were soon
dissatisfied with his management of the paper and backed Joseph
Cooper in establishing the "Watchman," another Conservative weekly,
For two or three years, the local; press indulged in orgies of
Billingsgate probably unique in the annals of Canadian journalism.
In time, Cooper sold out the Watchman to George Lytle, who in 1899,
bought up the Warder as well and amalgamated the two papers as the
"Watchman Warder." Lytle was succeeded as editor by Allan Gillies,
who, with the assistance of Ford Moynes of the Stratford Herald,
launched a "Daily Warder," commencing May 1, 1908. John W .Deyell,
B.A., has since become manager.
Meanwhile, C. D. Barr was appointed county registrar in 1891, and
the Post was taken over by George H. Wilson of Port Hope on July 1,
1892 .The weekly edition was supplemented by a daily "Evening Post"
beginning April 8, 1895.
Two new rival papers were founded in 1895 and 1908, but were short
lived. Sam Porter, of the Post staff, published a "Lindsay News
Item" for a few weeks in 1895; and a "Free Press" started on May 8,
1908, by J. V. McNaulty and R. J. Moore, gave up the ghost on
February 20, 1909.
During and after the Great War of 1914-18, newspaper costs became so
crushing that the proprietors of the Post and the Watchman Warder
entered into an agreement by which, after Sept. 30, 1920, the former
abolished their weekly edition and the latter their daily edition.
This arrangement is still in force.
The staffs of the local papers have had several
distinguished graduates. Samuel Kydd, once with the Warder and the
Advocate, became editor of the Montreal Gazette in 1909; while the
late W. M. O'Beirne, 30 years editor of the Stratford Beacon, the
late S. J. Fox, M.P.P., the late J. T. Johnston, of the Toronto Type
Foundry, and F. H. Dobbin, 27 years Managing Director of the
Peterboro Review, all served with the Post.
Newspapers have also carried on elsewhere in the county. After the
departure of the Warder, Omemee had its "Herald" and "Mirror," both
now defunct. In Bobcaygeon, the "Independent," founded by E. D. Hand
In 1870 and published for many years by the inimitable Charles E.
Stewart, has a current circulation of 750. Fenelon Falls has had the
"Gazette" and the "Star." The latter is no more, but the former, set
up by E. D. Hand in 1873, and now run by the Robson Bros., survives
with 600 subscribers. Woodville long had its weekly, the "Advocate,"
founded in 1877 by Cave and Henderson, but this paper has since been
amalgamated with the Beaverton "Express."
Town of Lindsay