Ontario Cemetery Records
Ontario Census Records
Ontario Church Records
Ontario Court Records
Ontario Genealogy Societies
Ontario Immigration Records
Ontario Indian Tribes
Ontario Land and Maps
Ontario Mailing Lists
Ontario Military Records
Ontario Online Books
Ontario Vital Records
Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
FREE Web Site Hosting at
Lakes in the Digby Granite,
Victoria County, Ontario Canada
Digby is bounded by Laxton on the south, Lutterworth
(in Haliburton County) on the east, Longford on the north, and
Dalton on the west. It is almost entirely in the granite region and
is very rough and rugged. As is usual in the Laurentian rock
country, lakes are very numerous. There are eighteen lakes in Digby
alone and forty in Digby and Longford, as compared with nine in all
South Victoria. The most important of the Digby lakes are Victoria
in the northeast, Smudge in the centre, Fishog in the southeast, and
Head, on the Laxton boundary.
The only arable land is in the southeast and southwest corners. The
pioneers here were the Foleys, McFadyens, and Powers. The population
today totals less than one hundred.
Digby has produced some of the finest pine in the county but was
already stripped bare forty years ago.
(F.) The Huckleberry Plains of Dalton.
Dalton township is named after Dr. John Dalton, (1766-1844), a
famous English scientist, who did much to establish the Atomic
theory of the constitution of matter.
Dalton's municipal neighbors are Carden on the south, Digby on the
east, Ryde (in Muskoka District) on the north, and Rama (in Ontario
County) on the west.
It is almost entirely made up of glaciated granite. Three streams,
the Black River in the north, Cranberry River in the centre, and
Head River in the south, flow across it from east to west. At least
two-thirds of the township consists of huckleberry plains. Its
scanty apportionment of arable soil lies chiefly near the Head River
and the southern boundary, though small streaks of farming land may
be found along the valleys of the other rivers. The Gardiners,
Montgomerys, and Thompsons were amongst the earliest settlers.
Scotch and Irish Presbyterians dominate the present day population.
The latest census figures are as follows Races:
Roman Catholic, 12.
Uphill is a village of half a hundred people near the south end of
the Digby boundary. It was long made famous by its tavern keeper,
John Calhoun of the North Star Hotel. Dartmoor in the south, Sadowa
in the west, and Ragged Rapids in the northeast have been rural post
offices. Sebright is a village of about fourscore inhabitants
scattered on both sides of the Rama-Dalton boundary where the Monck
Road crosses it between the first and second concessions of Dalton.
It has been estimated that Dalton has 25,000 acres of
non-agricultural lands which are well adapted for reforestration.
One of the most picturesque figures in the municipal history of the
township is Joseph Thompson, who was reeve for a quarter of a
century. Thompson was a great hunter and many legends have been
handed down concerning his prowess in the wilderness.
The Wilderness of
Longford township derives its name from a county in
It is the most northerly of all the townships in
Victoria, being adjacent to Oakley (in Muskoka) on the north, to
Anson (in Haliburaon) on the east, to Digby on the south, and to
Ryde (in Muskoka) on the west.
The municipality is wholly within the granite area
and is dotted with more than a score of small, nameless lakes ,which
are all drained to the southwest by the Black River system.
Longford has no inhabitants. It was first bought in 1865 by the
Canada Land and Emigration Company and later sold by that
corporation to John Thompson, of Longford Mills, north of Orillia.
Thompson stripped the township of all timber, driving the logs down
the Black River to his mills. At the present day most of Longford
belongs to William Thompson, of the Longford Lumber Company, Orillia.