Nova Scotia Counties
Nova Scotia Archives
Nova Scotia Biographies
Nova Scotia Cemetery Records
Nova Scotia Census Records
Nova Scotia Church Records
Nova Scotia Court Records
Nova Scotia Directories
Nova Scotia Genealogy Societies
Nova Scotia Home Pages
Nova Scotia Immigration Records
Nova Scotia Indian Tribes
Nova Scotia Land and Maps
Nova Scotia Mailing Lists
Nova Scotia Military Records
Nova Scotia Newspapers
Nova Scotia Obituaries
Nova Scotia Online Books
Nova Scotia Vital Records
Free Genealogy Forms
Family Group Chart
New Genealogy Data
Family Tree Search
Genealogy Books For Sale
Track Your Diet
FREE Web Site Hosting at
The Ministers and Churches of Middle River Including Westville and
St. Phillip's Church was built and completed Jan. 8,
1871, with Rev. Wm. M. Phillips in charge. He was succeeded by Rev.
Chas. Dunn who resigned in 1887; Rev. T. D. Stewart, 1888-1899; Rev.
G. B. McLeod, 1900-1902; Rev. D. M. Gillies, 1902-1903. Rev. W.W.
McNairn, present pastor, was inducted, 1904.
The first Carmel Church was erected in 1870, but while the
dedication services were in progress, it was burned to ashes. A new
church was soon erected, and Rev. John Lees was called to be pastor,
1873 to 1879. Rev. Robt. Cumming, D.D., was called in 1881 and
resigned in 1912, closing a most happy and successful pastorate of
31 years. Rev. D. A. Frame is present pastor, 1913.
The first minister in Gairloch was Rev. Hugh McLeod, 1822. The
second pastor, was Rev. Donald McIntosh, 1833-1844. The church was
vacant for nine years. The next minister was Rev. A. Maclean,
1853-1857. He was also pastor at Saltsprings. Rev. Alex. McKay,
1859-1867. Rev. Neil Brodie was pastor for 13 years. He was followed
by Rev. Thos. Irving and Rev. J. C. McLeod. In 1907, the Gairloch
and Middle River sections were united with Rev. A. O. Morash, as
pastor. Rev. Geo. Christie is the present pastor, inducted in 1911.
The present church was built in 1858.
Ministers of Middle River, Westville and Gairloch
Pictonians at Home and Abroad, 1914